(2) At the Laboratory:
Producing diapers of excellent quality
- "Welcome to our research lab, the place where we develop Merries diapers. There are all kinds of scientific equipment here, so please feel free to ask any questions!"
- "Hello, and thank you for having us today!"
The truth behind Baby Meriko, who is hidden in the research lab
Brimming with curiosity, we walked into the laboratory. When we realised what was at the back of the room, we could not help but stop and stare!
A robot stood there, clad in a diaper. We finally met "Meriko", the star of the research lab! But, just who is Meriko?
- "She is a robot that replicates the complex movements of babies for the analysis of the diapers. Once we have successfully developed a test product, we'll put it on Meriko and get her to mimic all of the baby movements when artificial pee and poo are discharged from her bottom. After that, we'll check if there is any leakage, or if the waist area is too tight, and any other problems."
Gender: Girl (she can transform into a boy too!)
Functions: Able to mimic the baby's movements like crawling, etc. As she moves, her tummy expands and contracts accordingly. The numerous baby movements are configured by the computer. The speed of her movements is also adjustable.
Information from the experiments: Verifies how well the pee is absorbed, whether there are gaps between the diaper and the thighs, the leakage situation, and the pressure around the sides of the diaper when the baby moves.
Secret: Meriko is not only able to mimic the baby's movements, she replicates the baby's distinctive build as well. Her protruding tummy and round buttocks, for example, reflect the actual measurements of a baby, taking the form that is identical to a human baby!
- "Previously, we went to the homes of staff members to observe the daily diaper habits of their babies. It took us several days just to visit 10 staff members. As we are dealing with babies, we have to take the time to shower attention on them, especially when they get upset. The biggest advantage with Meriko is that we are able to test and check the same movement, make adjustments for the tummy movements by changing the angles slightly, compare the leakage situations, and obtain other detailed data. Regrettably, a real baby will not make the same movement repeatedly for us. Therefore, Baby Meriko is indispensable to our research laboratory!"
- "So a comfortable diaper is only produced after such relentless tests!"
- "I'm surprised to learn they have a baby like this, besides the little bunny!"